New KMix version about to be checked in - a complete replacement of the source tree

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 24 15:18:10 BST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 24/08/10 15:07 did gyre and gimble:
> [colin at jimmy kmix (master)]$ git tag -m "The Start" beginning
> [colin at jimmy kmix (master)]$ git svn rebase
> [colin at jimmy kmix.trunk (master)]$ git checkout beginning
> Note: checking out 'beginning'.
>
> You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
> changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
> state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.
>
> If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
> do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:
>
>   git checkout -b new_branch_name
>
> HEAD is now at 4af0f54... Fix menu bar hide problem. BUGS: 191725
> [colin at jimmy kmix.trunk ((beginning))]$ cd ../kmix/

Incidentally, I forgot to mention above, but you can probably notice
that my bash prompt actually contains details as to which git branch I'm
currently in. It's is *incredibly* useful.

You can get it on mandriva by installing the git-prompt package, or on
other distros by copying this:

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/git/current/SOURCES/93git-branch.sh?view=markup

Just stick it in /etc/profile.d/ or your bashrc etc. etc.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie