jerkiness in video on using phonon on windows

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Mon Nov 23 22:41:21 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:05:44PM +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > But Webkit is a broader development community with its own release
> > cycle issues, other maintainers etc etc.
> And that doesn't match Phonon how?

Phonon is (supposed to be) released with Qt, and the development community is
extremely small compared to WebKit, and Qt has a significantly larger part in
the overall development of Phonon than WebKit (Qt's role in Phonon is more
akin to Apple's role in the WebKit development, IMHO).

> Really? So the Windows and Mac users who build Phonon from SVN or from
> packages don't count?

It would be really interested to know if anyone actually builds their own ds9
and qt7 backends from SVN. There's no reason to, since the ds9 and qt7
backends in SVN actually are lagging behind Qt's released versions.

And I have seen plenty of people using the released Phonon that comes with
Qt, with those backends, and also a growing amount of Windows people using
the Phonon-VLC backend (and a more or less steady amount of the MPlayer
backend), but maybe I just hear about them because they're harder to build.
Or something.
(Yes, yes, anecdotes. But a growing amount of them. :-)

> PS: webkit doesn't have release cycles at all, so it doesn't have issues with
> it.

Yet another reason why comparing Phonon to WebKit is a bad idea. :-)

--
Martin Sandsmark