GSOC Analyzer Support in Amarok and possibly Phonon

Ricard Marxer Piñón email at ricardmarxer.com
Tue Mar 3 09:29:08 GMT 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Michael Pyne <mpyne at purinchu.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 28 February 2009, Ricard Marxer Piñón wrote:
> > The main idea is to make audio visualizations (using Phonon to access
> audio
> > data) for Amarok 2 similarly as what was available in Amarok 1.x.  Most
> > visualizations there were spectral based and we would then need some
> > processing of each audio frame to be able to this.
> >
> > Option A means doing the processing outside of the Phonon backends
> > (personally I would choose FFTW and Eigen to do this processing).
> > <snip>
>
> I like Option A since it doesn't add much in the way of external
> dependencies
> to Phonon.  Option B seems to do better at making the functionality to all
> Phonon users though.  Maybe just have a very thin plugin interface that
> Phonon
> could use to list visualization plugins with the application being
> responsible
> to host the plugin?

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I agree that to let Phonon be as lightweight as possible these sort of
plugins should be hosted by the application.

By the way, am I on the wrong list? Ian told me about a list called
phonon-devel but I haven't found that one and the Phonon site directed me
here.

ricard

> Regards,
>  - Michael Pyne