Progressive download in Phonon

Jonathan Wong jhannwong at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 13:47:10 BST 2009

> Whats wrong with normal streaming? I guess I don't get the
> difference.

Normal streaming don't save the video file on the client's hard disk, which is really what most
applications wanna do (not let general public store the broadcast video file).

For an in-house peer-to-peer system, we need progressive download to reduce bandwidth usage.

There's a whole argument about variable bitrate and streaming and such. At the moment, there isn't
a cost-effective way to store (on server) video files at various bitrates (forgot name of a
project that does it, but it's not in production state yet, I think).

> Phonon is really lacking leadership at the moment.

Does that mean I can't submit patches?