Qt 4.5 and Phonon best practice

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at kde.org
Fri Feb 20 18:44:32 GMT 2009

On Friday 20 of February 2009 15:02:36 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:59:07PM -0500, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> >
> > Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > > So should we pressure qt into adding a -use-system-phonon option or
> > > should I just switch to the Qt phonon.  And do people have similar
> > > experiences of HTML5 with Xine vs gstreamer?
> >
> > How would a system phonon work, when phonon links against Qt?  Sounds
> > like a recipe for issues in symbol resolution.
>
> Yes, nasty circular dependency and as you say, a recipe for issues in
> symbol resolution.
>
> > Good question though; what phonon comes with 4.5?  4.3.0?
>
> Phonon 4.3.1.  Which doesn't even have a standalone release.

What i decided to do here:
- Compile phonon in qt 4.5 to have webkit.
- At install stage remove all phonon installed related files

Since the webkit package would have a requirements to libphonon.so.4, when we
try to install it pull down system phonon package

The only catch is have same ABI compat phonons, in our KDE case is 4.3.0,
fully compatible with Qt one.

I know this is a little ugly, but fits well for our current situation.

--
Helio Chissini de Castro
KDE Developer