Konrad Materka, GSOC proposal

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 14:29:00 GMT 2008

On Saturday 29 March 2008, Konrad Materka wrote:
> Matthias Kretz napisaƂ(a):
> > On Friday 28 March 2008, Ian Monroe wrote:
> >> Given the Xine has no way to decode just subtitles, I suppose this
> >> means he'd have to add the functionality to like phonon-xine. Perhaps
> >> he could do it in a such a way that it'd be easy to add to other
> >> phonon backends.
> >
> > Yes, write it like a library but for now just compile it into
> > phonon-xine.
>
> Parsing library is back-end independent, so it won't depend on xine.

Good. You should probably make that a requirement - then it's really easy to
take that code and use it in other backends or even in the frontend, should
we decide to do that later on.

> >> Perhaps the ability to drag around subtitles could be in the frontend at
> >> least?
> >
> > That's what I meant, yes. The backend would just provide the data. The
> > presentation of that data would happen in frontend code or application
> > code.
>
> So subtitle back-end (specific for xine?) will provide pixmaps. Dragon
> player will use them in his (very simple) widged. Am I right?

The subtitle code should be able to provide masked QPixmaps, QImages, plain
text and perhaps other formats like e.g. rich text (think Karaoke where a
part of the text is colored differently). It will "push" that data out to the
frontend where the application either handles it itself or uses the widget
you will write as part of the Phonon frontend classes.

> Oh, if I have to change my proposal, do I need to add new one? I can't
> change proposal text...

There should be a way for mentors to allow you to update your application text
(don't send a new one). But all I currently can do on the mentor interface is
write a public and a private comment. Perhaps writing a public comment will
unlock it?

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de