OT: Spam filter

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat Mar 29 13:50:02 GMT 2008

On Saturday 29 March 2008, Valentin RUSU wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Matthias Kretz <kretz at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 28 March 2008, Ian Monroe wrote:
> >  > I'm pretty sure it's your signature and the way you send messages
> >  > that's giving grief, so I confidently copy your message to respond to.
> >
> >  Because of homelinux.org in my sig? I'm sending my messages using a
> > university mailserver, can't see what would be wrong with that.
> >
> >  "RDNS_NONE Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS": It
> > seems my ISP doesn't have reverse DNS entries for its IPs. Now why would
> > that make me more spammy?
>
> Spammers are known to use dial-up links, in order to get a different
> IP address for each spamming session. And by the way, a real mail
> service always have a fix IP address for its MX servers, isn't it ?

Yes, I learned that many years ago. Which is why I'm not sending mail directly
from my server but using my university mailserver as relay. That used to be
enough to show that my mails are legitimate. And if you think about it, every
user with an email client using SMTP to send an email needs to send the mail
from a dial-up IP to a trusted network - there's no way around it.

> >  "URIBL_SC_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist
> >         *      [URIs: homelinux.org]": How stupid is it to block that
> > URI? /me slaps SpamCop
>
> Well, SpamCop is doing a nice job. You get blocked probably because
> someone in the campus tries to make some extra money by sending spam.
> Or, thats worst, one of the campus SMTP servers is relaying spam.

SpamCop is complaining about homelinux.org and not about the relay server at
university. Now if you take a look at what homelinux.org is you easily can
see that it needs to be treated like a toplevel domain. It's like saying: "We
saw spam from foo.bar.us so let's block *.us".

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de