Choosing a Phonon backend

Tanguy Krotoff tkrotoff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:23:35 GMT 2008

It's possible to add Qt plugins to its app by copying the *.dll/*.so
inside i_don't_remember_the_name_of_the_directory

But still, Qt checks first for QTDIR/plugins/phonon_backend so you
might end up with phonon_ds9 if you have installed the complete Qt
version. Of course for an end user, no problem.

btw, I checked Dragon Player source code quickly and you use sometimes
directly xine.h, why is that?

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 6:33 AM, Tanguy Krotoff <tkrotoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Matthias Kretz <kretz at kde.org> wrote:
>  >  >  Yes, I'm considering adding something like a set of flags and then the
>  >  >  application can say
>  >  >
>  >  >  Phonon::setRequiredFeatures(Phonon::SomeFeature | Phonon::SomeOtherFeature);
>  >  >
>  >  >  The remaining problem is that there must be at least one backend for every
>  >  >  platform that supports all features otherwise the above call could result in
>  >  >  a situation where no backend would fit - which doesn't make sense.
>  >  >
>  >  >  And yeah, I don't think the application can be smarter than the framework in
>  >  >  deciding what backend to use. That's why there's no API to select the backend
>  >  >  from the API.
>  >
>  >  What about the user? can he be smarter than the framework to decide?
>  >  I'm developing a VLC + MPlayer backend.
>  >  So I imagine a video app that let's the user choose which backend he wants.
>  >
>  >  MPlayer does not handle DVD menus, VLC does. From the video app it
>  >  would be nice to say "for DVD playback I prefer the VLC backend and
>  >  for others videos I prefer MPlayer" or "for .mov files I prefer
>  >  MPlayer, for the rest VLC".
>  >  There will never be a backend "to rule them all" (ok, yes, Phonon will huhu)
>  >
>  >  Also from a developer point of vue, when I'm testing the VLC backend,
>  >  I have to remove all others backends (*.so/*.dll) from Qt directory
>  >  phonon_backend.
>  >
>  >  I don't know how to solve nicely/elegantly this problem. What I know
>  >  is that I don't want to see in a video app FAQ:
>  >  "to use the MPlayer backend, go to blabla phonon_backend, delete all
>  >  others backends *.so/*.dll/*.dylib"
>
>  On Windows especially it'd be nice to be able to distribute and then
>  use your own backend, since if I ever release Dragon Player on Windows
>  I would want to release it with phonon-vlc.
>
>  Ian

Tanguy Krotoff <tkrotoff at gmail.com>
+33 6 68 42 70 24