Choosing a Phonon backend

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Mar 26 19:43:07 GMT 2008

On Friday 21 March 2008, Tanguy Krotoff wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Luciano Montanaro <mikelima at cirulla.net>
wrote:
> >  The problem with that is that the backend that I "prefer" now may not be
> > the one that will be best six months down the road. And if I develop my
> > application on Linux, I may not know which backend is best on MacOS or
> > Windows. So I'd rather be able to say "I need a backend that can play n
> > sound objects at the same time" or "a backend that can play ogg flac
> > files".
>
> OK, I like your approach. Better than specifying a list of backends.
> But after checking Phonon source code, I don't see how to get a list
> of available backends and then check one by one their functionalities.

Yes, I'm considering adding something like a set of flags and then the
application can say

Phonon::setRequiredFeatures(Phonon::SomeFeature | Phonon::SomeOtherFeature);

The remaining problem is that there must be at least one backend for every
platform that supports all features otherwise the above call could result in
a situation where no backend would fit - which doesn't make sense.

And yeah, I don't think the application can be smarter than the framework in
deciding what backend to use. That's why there's no API to select the backend
from the API.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de