GSOC proposal

Konrad Materka materka at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 17:11:04 GMT 2008

>  I understand DragonPlayer has gained support for subtitles (AFAIK,
>  only in 4.1, I don't see it in my 4.0).  However, based on past
>  experience, there is still much to be desired for GOOD subtitle
>  support in general.  I would very much like to see your proposal go
>  forward, Konrad.  I really like that you are not tying it to a
>  particular application or even group of applications (honestly, I
>  didn't even think beyond videos, but I'm glad you did!).

Dragon Player has support for subtitles, but not external ones (in txt files).
My approach is completely different than in other players, I don't
plan to use xine, mplayer or another backed to show subtitles, I will
render subtitles in special widget.

>  For me, my biggest need is the ability to load external subtitles when
>  playing a DVD.  This is possible with Kaffeine or command line xine
>  and mplayer, but that's about it as far as I know.  After that, it
>  would be nice to easily set the font and text size.  Neither setting
>  is particularly pleasant to set in any of those three options.

It will be possible, fast and easy. It will only depend on player
interface. It will be possible to change all setting in real time or
even drag subtitles with mouse and move them!

>  A proposal to fix this situation, not just for one player, but for
>  anyone who uses Phonon... wow!  As a bonus, it would be nice to

That  my main reason - I can set nice subtitles in mplayer, but only
in grey scale. Xine have subtitles too, but need tricky way. In
Gstreamer sutuation is similar or even worse. But what with QuickTime,
DirectShow etc? :)

>  attempt auto-detection of character encoding for subtitle files.
>  Right now I manually re-encode files to utf8 just so I don't have to
>  keep switching it in the player (another awkward setting).

I was thinking about auto-detection, it is not an easy task, it will
never be 100% correct, but with some researches it would be possible.
I'm planning this feature too, but after doing everything else.

So keep your's fingers crossed for me! :)

--
With kindest regards:
Konrad Materka