Phonon 4.2 and integration for Qt 4.5

Jens Bache-Wiig jbache at trolltech.com
Wed Jun 11 09:32:49 BST 2008

> I know that phonon isn't in kdelibs anymore... but would this break
> KDE software written when Phonon 4.1 was current? i.e. would
> applications be able to compile against the new Phonon?
>
> If so I have no objection (but then I don't see how it isn't source
> compatible either). But we shouldn't cause KDE programs that used to
> be valid to fail to compile, even if it is actually binary compatible.
> I absolutely hate when other libraries have done this to me in a minor
> rev.
>
> Besides, doesn't Trolltech have to maintain source compatibility for
> Qt? I don't see how they could include a Phonon change that breaks
> source compatibility...
>
> Regards,
>
> - Michael Pyne

This would not break for applications using Phonon but it would break
for People writing or modifying their Phonon backends. However as
Thierry pointed out, Qt cannot break source compatibility in anything
but major versions so we simply have to find another way to design
around this. Don't we simply need a way for the backend to query for and
mark platform devices from the frontend while populating the device list?

Jens Bache-Wiig - jbache at trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, P.O. Box 4332 Nydalen, 0402 Oslo, Norway