VLC Phonon Backend: some news

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed Apr 2 14:51:04 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:42 AM, Tanguy Krotoff <tkrotoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> * I have some questions about backends integrating inside KDE
>
>  Original phonon-vlc code uses Q_EXPORT_PLUGIN2 and relies only on Qt-4.4
>  To make it work under KDE I need:
>  K_PLUGIN_FACTORY
>  K_EXPORT_PLUGIN
>  inside backend.cpp
>  + I need to modify my CMakeLists.txt to link with KDE libs
>  I checked GStreamer backend source code and there is no
>  K_PLUGIN_FACTORY, only Q_EXPORT_PLUGIN2 (!)
>
>  So I would like to know if Qt only based plugin can work and integrate
>  well inside KDE Desktop.
>  I currently use KDE 4.0.2 (Ubuntu Hardy)
>
>  * Other subject, about Dragon Player (version 2.0.1 - KDE 4.0.2), I
>  don't get the video output (audio only) with phonon-vlc. Before going
>  further, is it for sure my mistake or Dragon Player does some nasty
>  things playing with xine.h?
>  Somebody tried Dragon Player with GStreamer?

I made the code so that if it's not running Xine it should still work.
That said, I've never gotten a non-xine backend to work on my computer
so I haven't been able to test this out really, though there was a
period where I added features that used the xine_stream_t property of
phonon-xine, but still had phonon-xine's around that didn't have that
property and they worked fine (but that was a while ago). Basically I
never assume that pointer exists and check it first before using it.
And all I use it for is subtitle, audio channel and DVD menu
selection. You might try the latest SVN of Dragon Player which only
uses xine_stream_t for DVD menu selection.

I would also be interested to know if someone has tried the GStreamer
backend with Dragon Player. :)

>  * Do you know others phonon apps so I might try and debug further phonon-vlc?
>  I found:
>  Dragon Player
>  KMPlayer
>  KMediaPlayer http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KMediaPlayer?content=67636
>  (stopped)
>  Amarok2
>  Juk
>
>  Thx

Anyways great to see phonon-videolan progressing... it would be
awesome if all three platforms could use the same backend. :)

Ian