Phonon, Qt and backends. Who creates the backends?

Tim Beaulen tbscope at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:24:12 BST 2007

Hello Thierry,

I've seen the slideshow you made for the Trolltech Developer Days (
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/DevDays/DevDays2007 ) and I
have a few questions about the backends for the Multimedia Framework /
Phonon.

I already knew that the multimedia framework in Qt is going to be
based on Phonon. But what about the backends?

Will the backends for Phonon be useable for the multimedia framework in Qt?
Who will create those backends?
I ask because I'm creating a GStreamer backend (and wrapper for the
GStreamer library) for Phonon and I don't want to waste time in
continuing developing this backend when Trolltech already decided to
do that themselves.

Note that I don't mind if Trolltech wants to do this themselves but
I'd like to know I don't want to develop a backend for severtal months
and notice that someone else developed one too in private and suddenly
releases it.

Thanks,
Tim Beaulen

Ps: this mail is also sent to the kde multimedia list.