Current sound system status?

Joseph M. Gaffney cucullin at wtfisthat.net
Fri Mar 2 16:16:03 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 March 2007 06:40:44 am Arnold Krille wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 1. März 2007 schrieb Bob McGowan:
> > I use KDE and have been looking into setting up a digital audio
> > workstation.
> > Generally, the stuff I've read uses JACK to hook things together.  KDE
> > has its own sound system and I'd like to know how to use JACK in this
> > environment, short of turning the sound system off.  Is it possible to
> > plug KDE into JACK, for example?
>
> Simple solution (used by sound-people all around the world):
>  - Let KDE use the built-in cheap soundcard which is enough for
> system-sounds and casual listening.
>  - Let jack use the (semi-)professional soundcard you bought for music.
>
> Arnold

+1

Internal soundcard for KDE, and thne I'm using an M-Audio Delta 1010 (which
uses the M-Audio 2496 sound card) for JACK.  I've found M-Audio hardware
works very nicely.

If you want to go all out, the linux-audio lists (-dev, -announce, -user)
provide excellent info on pro audio with Linux.  Also, a new wiki is being
worked on for all Linux audio, which should be up in time for LAC2007 (March
22-25)

-Joe

--
-Joseph M. Gaffney