Next Linux Flash player with platform adapter

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Oct 25 18:57:00 BST 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 18:15, Charles Samuels wrote:
> Er, what about mixing?

Answering to the general "Phonon integration", not the Linux Flash player in
specific:
On Linux we have ALSA to do the mixing, which is why ISVs start using ALSA
finally. On other systems /dev/dsp will do mixing automatically (like many of
us wanted the Linux kernel to do). On all remaining systems we need to use a
soundserver, and I believe PulseAudio is the main candidate there (lacks
testing on my side to be sure though). Having one place to define whether to
use a soundserver, how to access it, and so on is another thing that would be
nice to standardize. But that's orthogonal to the DBus interface for volume
control and device selection, no?

--
C'ya
        Matthias