building Phonon backend

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Fri May 26 09:32:33 BST 2006

Hi Gary!

On Friday 26 May 2006 02:02, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> I've written a Phonon plugin for KTTS.  Took about 15 minutes.  Really easy
> using the simplePlayer object.  Great job!

Cool.

> When I call simplePlayer->play() right now, it plays a test sound
> infinitely.   Is this the expected behavior of the test backend?

It should play the sound for only 3 minutes.

> How can I go about compiling a backend for Phonon?  I've heard there is an
> xine backend, but I can't seem to find it in svn.  Could someone get me
> started please?

The xine backend is in branches/work/kde4/playground/multimedia/phonon-xine.
There's also the NMM backend in trunk/KDE/kdemultimedia/phonon-nmm. To use
the NMM backend you need latest CVS from NMM, though.

> Assuming I get a backend built and installed, how do I configure Phonon to
> use that backend?

There's a KCM for that now. Call "kcmshell kcm_phonon" to set the backend
preference.

--
C'ya
        Matthias