Fwd: multimedia meeting agenda

Leon Shiman leon at magic.shiman.com
Sat May 6 09:29:44 BST 2006

Hi Matthias (u.a.) -

I'm curious about the NL meeting.

1. When is it?
2. Is it open?
3. Who is the organizer?
4. What is the agenda?
5. Where is it?

Leon

On 5/5/06, Matthias Kretz <kretz at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 2. May 2006 23:16, koos vriezen wrote:
> On TOn Tuesday 25 April 2006 6:00 am, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > After all the goal of Phonon is to make KDE applications like amaroK,
> > noatun, juk, kmplayer (well, the name would be misleading then - but
it's
> > the functionality I mean) be fully functional with using Phonon
> > exclusively.
>
> KMPlayer's name is already confusing, but would be a great moment to
> change it name. Eg. I'm thinking of MovieStar (I already have the
> icon).
>
> But the out-of-process requirement, like commented on you dot post,
> remains of course for the plugin. And now I'm running debian-Amd64,
> having a way to eg. nspluginviewer and mplayer running ia32 chroot'ed,
> it's even more beneficial. (no doubt an embeddable kphononplayer can
> be written, I think)

quoting your comment on the dot:
> What is the idea with the central configuration and choosing the right
> backend. I can imagine that depending on a certain use, eg. local playback
> vs. web movies, one would like to choose for an different one. Or
can/should
> a movie player query all backends and let the user decide?

I will test whether having multiple backends available at the same time
works
as soon as we have a few more (working) backends. Until then I believe that
allowing it will create more problems than it will solve.

> Who is handling network streaming for eg. mms and rtsp protocols, is that
> phonon or should the backends handle those (and what happens with password
> protected links then)?

The URL is handed to the backend via the MediaObject setUrl function. If
that
doesn't work, the MediaObject frontend object will request a ByteStream
interface and try to open the URL using KIO. This way all KIO URLs will work
automatically.
Password protected links is a good question. Probably the best would be for
the backend to use the KDE facilities to query for the password. If Phonon
falls back to KIO we have no problem anyway.

> Is there a way to specify whether the backends should be in- or
out-process,
> eg. for konqueror web browsing one might not want to pull in the gstreamer

> libs but for a movie player that might not be an issue.

Interesting thought. For those cases where you want to have it
out-of-process
it could really be the best choice to create a phononplayer that gets
embedded into Konqueror (or whatever app). On the other hand adding a proxy
interface to make backends out-of-process on the phonon lib level is also
possible (even after KDE 4.0 is released and Phonon has to stay BC). But I'm

not convinced that we really want to have that. I'd rather go with the
embedded phononplayer solution...

--
C'ya
        Matthias