where to select audio/video channels?

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Mon Mar 6 10:34:26 GMT 2006

Hi,

I have a question on the design of Phonon:
As media sources can have multiple audio channels or video channels (e.g.
angles for DVDs or TV channels for a TV card) the API needs to provide
methods to select the channel.

On aKademy we decided to add an audio channel selection to AudioPath. But that
means, that one media source would need to be able to provide multiple
channels:

MediaObject media;
AudioPath ap1;
AudioPath ap2;
media->addAudioPath(ap1);
media->addAudioPath(ap2);
media->setUrl(...);
ap1->selectChannel( 1 );
ap2->selectChannel( 2 );

1. Do use cases exist where one would want more than one audio/video channel
at the same time?
2. Is it technically possible? What frameworks can do it (doesn't make much
sense if Phonon only theoretically allows this while no framework will ever
do this)?

The other solution would be to put the audio/video channel selection into the
source object. I currently tend more to move the channel selection into
AbstractMediaProducer.

--
C'ya
        Matthias