KDE4 and video acquisition

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 20 22:51:43 GMT 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 15:20, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> with all the development effort going in KDE4 (and renaming kdemm to Phonon
> must be a sign that developers are active on the project, isn't it ? :-)), I
> thought I would rise the issue of video acquisition.
>
> I recently wrote a Linux device driver for new generation webcams. After a few
> weeks of development and some tests with a very simple V4L2 command line
> application, I thought I would try live video streaming. Finding an
> application which would support the webcam turned out to be much more
> difficult than I would have expected. Either V4L2, MJPEG or both were not
> supported in the application, when things were not even worse. That's when I
> found out that video acquisition support in Linux is far from being perfect,
> or even easily usable at all.
>
> Application currently have to support V4L and V4L2 with various streaming
> methods (read, mmap, ...), need to implement conversion from all possibles
> image formats that webcams generate (RGB, YUV, MJPEG, PWC, ...) and even have
> to work around driver or hardware bugs. That situation is clearly suboptimal.
>
> As KDE developers are busy creating an architecture for the multimedia
> framework in KDE4, I was wondering if any of you have thought about webcam
> support. Everything I read about Phonon states that sound will be supported
> through various backends (GStreamer, NMM or MAS), but the video input has not
> been publicly discussed so far. With all the controls that a webcam can
> expose (brightness/contrast/hue/saturation, but also exposure time, gain,
> power line frequency setting, pan/tilt/zoom, iris, ...), the job is not
> trivial.
>
> All constructive comments are welcome :-)

Hawking Technology makes an inexpensive webcam (HCN210) that
uses MJPEG. I'm interested in this camera for use with OpenBSD
because it has an ethernet-based web interface which makes moot the
question of usb support.

Dave Feustel
--
Lose, v., experience a loss, get rid of, "lose the weight"
Loose, adj., not tight, let go, free, "loose clothing"