Sound with KDE

Michael Donaghy md401 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 10:56:30 GMT 2006

On Thursday 12 Jan 2006 02:37, Bob Jackson wrote:
> Hi, I'm  a real newbie, driven to Linux (and KDE) by MS vunerability for
> viri. Im tring to get my games to run on Linspire with Cedega. I get
> grief rom the Cedega gonfig tests about the sound. I read on the Gedega
> forum that tis is sometimes caused by KDE having exclusive use of the
> sound devices. How do I determint if this is true?

Easiest way is probably to run "aplay somefile.wav" (where somefile is any wav
file) in a terminal (or konsole) window. If you get some error like "device
is busy" then something has got the sound device, and if you're not hearing
anything it's probably kde. If it is the kde sound system, "artsplay
somefile.wav" will work.

> How do I remedy the
> situation if it is?

Easiest way is probably to go to control centre, then Sound & Multimedia and
Sound System under this. Look at the "auto-suspend if idle after..." section,
make sure the box is ticked, and change the time to something smaller, say 5
seconds. Then make sure you don't play any sounds for 5 seconds before doing
whatever you have to.