Webcams, eye-candy and Phonon

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at skynet.be
Thu Apr 27 16:28:24 BST 2006

Hi everybody,

as the KDE4 multimedia API is being completely reworked, it might be a good
time to make sure all absolutely required features are thought about. By
absolutely required features, I of course mean video effects :-)

I wrote a Linux driver for the new Logitech webcams. All the "basic" (video
acquisition, data format, contrast/brightness, ...) features are well
documented, and Logitech has been very cooperative. Now that the driver
works, one of their developers contacted me to discuss how they could offer
the same kind of "user experience" to Linux users that they already provide
in the Windows world. This means face tracking and facial expression
detection today, but could mean more tomorrow. Have a look at
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/videoeffects/welcome/IN/EN,crid=2354&categoryid=446
to see what I'm talking about.

While the hardware interface is open and documented, they want to keep the
additional software closed (IP protection, third-party NDAs and so on). We
have agreed that providing the customer with open-source free software
drivers to access the webcams and optional binary modules for eye-candy would
be the best trade-off.

I'm currently not sure about where in the Linux desktop multimedia
architecture these kind of effect modules belong to. The goal is to be as
transparent as possible to the application.

Comments, opinions and advices will be appreciated. This is a good opportunity
to work with one of the leading webcam vendors and show that Linux is a
competitive desktop platform.

Laurent Pinchart