multimedia meeting agenda

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Tue Apr 25 11:00:05 BST 2006

On Tuesday, 25. April 2006 04:42, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> So, topics?
>
> - Matthias, could you do one on Phonon?

I certainly can and want to. I need you all to work for me! ;-)

No serious, I really would like to get a good discussion going on what you as
multimedia application developers think Phonon still needs before getting
released with KDE 4.0. After all the goal of Phonon is to make KDE
applications like amaroK, noatun, juk, kmplayer (well, the name would be
misleading then - but it's the functionality I mean) be fully functional with
using Phonon exclusively. Phonon is what all of those applications have
already done on a smaller scale: exchangeable sound output / media framework
backends...

That means, after a talk about Phonon, I'd really want to talk about it and
then produce some code. Either changing Phonon interfaces, or writing backend
code or porting multimedia applications to use Phonon.

I have a few challenging topics (let's not discuss them here, if you have
ideas/opinions write 'em down and let's talk about it at the meeting):
- What configuration options are needed? Which of them are global, which of
them only need to be set by an application, and which global settings need to
be overrideable.
- make hotpluging of audio/multimedia devices work globally (plug high quality
USB soundcard -> amaroK transparently stops playing on internal soundcard and
instead plays to the external soundcard)
- How should the mixer look like? Do we want to have some "multimedia control
center" where you can control volumes, route audio and video signals to other
computers in the network, and do arbitrary other funky things? (at the same
time - and more importantly - making it simple for the average user that
doesn't know what a PCM slider is supposed to do)

> Any other structural suggestions are welcome

I think we can think about structure some more when we know what we want to
achieve with the meeting...

--
C'ya
        Matthias