Sound and Multi-user

Michael Donaghy md401 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 14:08:58 GMT 2005

On Thursday 17 Nov 2005 11:33, Franck Collins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to have sound on 2 differents
> sessions (2 differents users) when we launch them with kdm. Because the
> mixer of the second session is empty...
>
> Thanks
>
> Franck

The easiest way to do this (imo) is using alsa dmix, set up
an /etc/asound.conf with an entry like
pcm.dmixed{
       type dmix
       ipc_key 1024
       slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
       }
then set the arts output device for both users to pcm.dmixed in the control
centre. (It might also work to call it pcm.!default, in which case no further
configuration should be required, but I haven't tried this. There may well be
other methods to achieve the same result, but this is the one that works best
for me).