Embedding KPart media player, GUI modification?

Ola Theander ola.theander at otsystem.com
Thu Nov 10 10:33:18 GMT 2005

Dear subscribers

I'm currently working on a video recording unit that will be used by a
company specializing in inspection of sewer pipes etc in buildings. The
general idea is to connect a composite video camera to an external box that
converts the camera signal to digital video (DV) similar to a camcorder. The
DV signal is read from the Firewire (IEEE 1394) port and converted to mpeg
using GStreamer. GStreamer also mixes the signal with the recorded voice of
the operator and splits it into two streams, one stream that's displayed on
the device screen and the other is saved to disk.

The major problem so far has been the video playback widget of the
application. The best option I've found so far is to use KPart embedding of
the KMPlayer KMediaPlayer::Player implementation but it has a few
disadvantages, mainly that some parts of the KMPlayer GUI is also embedded
i.e. the Play, Stop etc. buttons. The problem is that the box will be
controlled by the operator using a touch screen and the standard buttons of
KMPlayer is too tiny to be manageable. My question is thus, is there any way
to embed KMPlayer without the GUI, i.e. providing my own buttons for
controlling video playback? Is there any other competing technique for
embedding/reuse of widgets than KPart that perhaps is less autonomic?

I assume that I can modify the KMPlayer's GUI directly since there is access
to the source code but since I'm pretty new to KDE development I would like
to investigate if there are any other clever options available.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Ola Theander