make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Marco Lohse mlohse at cs.uni-sb.de
Thu Mar 24 08:02:13 GMT 2005

Thomas Wilczek wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 23. März 2005 10:00 schrieb Matthias Kretz:
>

>>alsa, jack, polypaudio and MAS, I'd say. Looks like quite some work. I
>>believe alsa and jack are the two most important PlaybackNodes to have
>>(though they're pretty much Linux only).
>

> well, oss support is already there :) so basiclly *bsd should be covered, too.
> btw, marco what about win32 output in nmm?

For Windows, NMM provides an audio sink and a video sink based on DirectX.

[..]
>>To use effects from a KDE API without deciding on the media framework we
>>need some common interface to work with. One common interface we could use
>>is LADSPA. Every media framework should support it - AFAIK only gstreamer
>>and NMM support it at this point.
>

> ladspa sounds pretty good - as long as you don't want to go "fully
> crossplatform" when setting up a session using network transparency like nmm
> is capable of now (since cebit, right marco?)

NMM has built-in network transparency for Linux since its beginning. We
already showed that at CeBIT 2003. NMM's cross-platform capabilities
were first shown at CeBIT 2005 (e.g. Linux/Unix/Windows).

So, if all platforms that support KDE also support LADSPA and NMM,
everything will work out without problems.

>>But I'm planning on using special interfaces for effects that we know are
>>usefull to media player developers. So we would at least define interfaces
>>for a Fader and an Equalizer effect.
>

> very essential in every mm app, imho
>

>>This way you could integrate the EQ into your application's skin and
>
> implement crossfading.
>
> you "just" need a decent qt/kde frontend which talks to 1..* node interface
> class(es) where then the gory details for the underlaying subsystem (nmm,
> gstreamer etc.) are handled.
>

>>BTW, if you have more effect interfaces that a media app might need let me
>>know.
>

> ok, that question was primary directed at marco, but what about pitch and
> tempo for an beginning? (i'm pretty sure you can already do it with arts -
> and it's sometimes pretty funny esp. on mic-in)
>

> one example (or use case - for those sw engineering dudes):
[..]

> ...and now get me that guy over there jumping up and down, waving hands and
> screaming "I WILL DO IT!" *ggg*

yeah, nice example ;)

However, as soon as applications get more complex - and need
capabilities beyond the needs of the 'typical' KDE application - they
should be built directly on top of a multimedia framework. Of course, I
cannot tell where to 'draw the line' between 'typical' and 'complex'
applications. I think, Matthias' design document discusses this difference.

Marco.