make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 21 05:04:53 GMT 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 09:42, Ryan Gammon wrote:
> Michael Donaghy wrote:
> >Sort of like how kaffeine allows xine or arts or mplayer backends to be
> >embedded into it, and can embed itself into other things?
>
> Yeah, that's the general idea. I make no claims of originality here :)
> Totem, Kaffeine, RealPlayer for Windows and Mac, and most other media
> players have some concept of alternative / multiple engines, though I
> haven't found anything that's desktop-agnostic yet.

it seems that there are a few emerging for Linux/UNIX.

> >Sounds good, but makes me wonder, is XEmbed meant to replace KParts?
>
> I think XEmbed is a technology that underlies KParts, bonobo, etc (?) --

no. KParts uses shared libs, not XEmbed. thankfully.

> it's a fdo thing.

well, it's on FD.o now, yes... it originated elsewhere. not that that matters
any for this discussion.

> Yup. Makes it a little easier for kde apps to try out Helix too,
> particularly for apps that just need the basic playback functionality
> that would be exposed by a simple dbus api.

would be interesting to see this in action.

> One could get more complicated by allowing per mime-type configuration
> -- not sure how compelling this is though :) It would mean that each
> engine would have to be queryable for its supported mime types.

knowing our users and how the rest of the desktop works, i'd imagine this
would be highly desirable.

--
Aaron J. Seigo