kde audio problem

Rosenstrauch, David david.rosenstrauch at csfb.com
Fri Mar 18 16:01:48 GMT 2005

Having a KDE-related audio problem and was wondering if anyone might help.

I've never had audio working on my box before, since it has one of those
lame-o Dell proprietary versions of the SB Live sound card, and the alsa
module for that card (snd-emu10k1x) was not packaged with a kernel until
2.6.11.  But now that I've got 2.6.11 on that box, I can now use that card.
All well and good.  However, for some reason, the KDE sound system (i.e., arts
and/or akodelib) don't play my MP3 files well - particularly on <= 128kbps
files.  The playback sounds "choppy" (for lack of a better word).

Obviously that sounds like it's a general sound issue (or an issue with that
wacky sound card), but it's not (or at least not by itself).  This definitely
is a KDE issue, because when I try to play the same mp3 files using XMMS, or
when I try to play streaming media in Amarok using the xine engine instead of
arts, the problem goes away.  I don't know if this is a KDE 3.4 issue or not,
since I upgraded to kernel 2.6.11 and KDE 3.4 at the same time, and thus never
had sound working under KDE 3.3.

Googling hasn't turned up much, particularly since I don't really know what
the problem is and so don't know quite what to google on.  (Plus the terms I
do know to google on are fairly generic and thus turn up lots of false hits.)

Box is running:
kernel 2.6.11(.3)
KDE 3.4
sound modules loaded:  snd-emu10k1x, snd-pcm-oss
xorg

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

DR