aRts in trunk

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Fri Jul 29 19:35:25 BST 2005

On Friday 29 July 2005 19:47, Charles Samuels wrote:

> I'm aware of that. What are you talking about?

You said you're still using it in truck.  Since kdemultimedia isn't anywhere
close to compiling with trunk I assumed were referring to last week's trunk.

> And what if there is?
>
> Advantages to keeping it in trunk:
> - I can easily make fixes to it if I need.

Uhm, your last commit to aRts was in March of 2002.  I hardly see this as
convincing.

> - I can use it and it'll be easy for testers to as well

Testers for what?

> Disadvantages:
> - You don't have to look at its ugly face.

It's house cleaning time.  My opinion is that if we're going to get rid of it
in the next few months now's as good a time as any.

> No, I think you just don't like aRts and want to see it go away, even
> though, as I've said, we haven't decided on an alternative, because the
> alternatives suck too.

Actually we pretty much have decided on an alternative in API terms.  See
Matthias's work in kdelibs/kdemm.  This came from the discussions with a
large group of multimedia people last year at aKademy, we talked about it at
LinuxTag and he's doing another talk on it at aKademy this year.  It's been
discussed multiple times on this list.

> Of course, it seems, you've already made up your mind, so whatever I say
> won't matter.

If by "you" you mean "pretty much everyone in the KDE community", then yes, we
mostly have.  Stefan has said he won't maintain it further.  Matthias has
quit using it completely.  aRts is dead.

I'm actually not sure what argument you're trying to make -- it seems unclear
if you're trying to argue that we should continue to use aRts in KDE 4 or if
you're saying that we should keep it for present convenience.

-Scott

--
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest
person to fool.