CDDA support in Noatun

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org
Mon Jan 10 00:16:15 GMT 2005

Michael Donaghy wrote:
> On Sunday 09 Jan 2005 13:44, Stuart Longland wrote:
>
>>Stuart Longland wrote:
>># emerge -f kdemultimedia
>># tar -xjvf /home/portage/distfiles/kdemultimedia-3.3.1.tar.bz2
>># cd kdemultimedia-3.3.1
>># ./configure --with-paranoia --with-lame --with-vorbis
>># make -C libkcddb
>># make -C kioslave all install
>
> I think you need to USE=cdparanoia.

Yeah, for whatever reason... that got missed when KDE was initially
installed. -- This was by far much quicker than rebuilding
kdemultimedia. :-)

>> At the moment, there's a delay whilst the file is ripped to $HOME -- of
>>course, once it is present, it can be played even during the ripping
>>process.  Unfortunately the delay for the system to get around to the
>>desired track is going to be a real problem.
>>
>> Is it possible for the system to stream the audio off the CD directly
>>rather than buffering it to disk?
 >
> Doesn't it do that if you try and read the file through the ioslave, rather
> than reading it "directly"?

Okay, this is what I did.

* Fired up noatun
* Opened the playlist dialogue
* Clicked Add files
* Typed 'audiocd:/' as the URL up the top
* Selected the relevant .wav files shown

I presume that's via the ioslave?
| Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Atomic Linux Project     -oOo-    http://atomicl.berlios.de |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |