CDDA support in Noatun

mETz mETz81 at web.de
Tue Jan 4 18:39:08 GMT 2005

Moin,

On Dienstag Januar 4 2005 03:53, Stuart Longland wrote:
>  Originally, the plan was to develop one from scratch, however just
> recently, it came to my attention that Noatun was already capable of
> playing MP3s at an adjusted speed (using the Alsaplayer interface).
> Seeing as this is already an easy-to-use and mature platform already, it
> seemed obvious to me that this would be a better solution than bashing
> out my own.

it's actually artsd that allows pitching whatever floats through its pipe. So
far Noatun is just a frontend to artsd which does both the decoding, mixing,
effects, output etc.

>  Is there a preferred way to develop input plugins?  Ideally, I'd like
> to make an input plugin that can say, take a URL of the form:
> cdda:/dev/cdrom:2 (or similar), meaning play Track 2 from /dev/cdrom.
> I've just poked through the documentation, it covers making Interfaces,
> Visualisation and Effect plugins, but I don't see much talking about
> input plugins.  What would be the best way to tackle this?  (Note, I'll
> be doing a crash course in C++ in the process)

KDE actually does have something similar. It's the audiocd-ioslave (part of
kdemultimedia). If you have it installed you can browser an audio-cd in konq
using "audiocd:/".
Now the problem with ioslaves is that you cannot seek in files using their
API. You can just download/upload files using them but that's actually most
of it.
The best way to solve this problem all and for once would be if kio would be
more unix like and have open/close/read/write/lseek calls. So far nothing has
been done towards this direction (this would be something to be "fixed" in
kdelibs) :(

>  From here, my plan would be to modify the AlsaPlayer interface to add a
> Scan CD button, and to make the speed adjustment endpoints configurable
> (so the scale is more useful).

See the KJofol interface of Noatun. It might not suite your taste in case you
want a KDEish looking player but it has got _exactly_ that feature (note: the
skin also needs to support pitch controls, the original skin does of course
have such a wheel). It's not really hard to port this to any other gui plugin
of course.

> (BTW: Is there an IRC channel I can join to discuss this on?)

irc.freenode.net, #kde-devel

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein