[Alsa-user] ARTS and ALSA on KDE VIA82xx

Metgorna metgorna at inwind.it
Wed Sep 29 15:50:15 BST 2004

My system:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Bus PCI VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
PCI to ISA bridge VT8233
SoundCard VT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller] with snd-via82xx driver
Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official (kernel 2.6.3)
KDE 3.2

The problem:
In windows all works correctly (I have a dual boot system)

With ARTS (activated in KDE):
I have no sound at startup.
No sound or few seconds loop-playback in Totem or XMMS (both crashes).
Mixer levels are up and activated.

Without ARTS:
XMMS (with xmms-alsa plug-in)alsa output works fine!
MPlayer  (with alsa plug-in)alsa output works fine too!
BUT...........
I can't play mixed sounds.
I can't play midifiles... I used xmms-midi plug-in it work but I'm not able
 to set timidity output to alsa.

I tried to install JACK but it give me error messages and can't connect to
alsa.
Any other sound-mixing app that work with my system?
I could buy a soundcard too... But wich card I have to choose? It will work?
I think the broblem is incorrect arts options... But I did a google for this
and all I have found didn't work!!!

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!
THANKS IN ADVANCE.
--