kaboodle -> kmplayer

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Sep 27 16:13:31 BST 2004

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 18:37, Thibaut wrote:
> De: "Ronald S. Bultje" <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>
> >On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 22:17, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> >> I propose to replace Kaboodle with KMPlayer in kdemultimedia.
> >> KMplayer can play much more sound and video files than kaboodle.
> >> KMplayer can use mplayer or xine as backend and can be used as a powerfull
> >> Video-, DVD, TV- or SVCD-Player. The integration as a kpart into khtml is
> >> also much better. KMplayer is well maintained be Koos Vriezen.
> >
> >Legal? Both Xine and Mplayer are completely unshippeable, even when used
> >as a backend.
>
> why ?
> What the difference between xine-lib and gstreamer (legally) ?

Ask your lawyer if you want an official answer, mine may be wrong since
I'm not a lawyer.

Since xine-libs contains patented code, it is legally unshippeable in
official distributions like a KDE or Novell/SuSE release. They could get
sued by shipping this (by MPEG LA or Fraunhofer, for example).

GStreamer contains no such code; it does, however, allow for custom
plugins to add such functionality if patent issues have been taken care
of (e.g. by buying a license) or by downloading manually.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>