kdemm backends & Helix

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Tue Sep 14 19:25:34 BST 2004

Hi guys,

I was poking around kdelibs/kdemm on make_it_cool, looking at some of
the neat stuff you're doing with multimedia.

A couple of quick questions:
1. Is anyone interested in a helix-based implementation of these
interfaces? (helixcommunity.org, helix client is the open-source media
engine that powers the RealPlayer).
2. I'm a little confused by channels -- if there's something someone can
point me at that talks a bit about what this is, it'd be much appreciated.
3. If one wanted to provide access to extended media engine
functionality with these interfaces, how would they go about doing it?

For example, we developed a simplifed gtk widget around the Helix Player
for our Helix Player 1.0 / RealPlayer 10 for linux project. There's a
lot of media engine functionality that we didn't want to add to the gtk
api -- we wanted to keep it simple -- so we added a mechanism to get at
the underlying engine.

Let's say I wanted to make playback statistics (packet loss, etc)
available to an app, but that statistics was not something that was
standardized enough across backends that it made sense for kdemm.

Would I implement those methods on a hypothetical HelixVideoPlayer
class, and cast from a VideoPlayer up to a HelixVideoPlayer in my app?

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon at real.com
Developer for Helix Player