Proposal: libunixmm.so (about the Comparison: MAS, GStreamer, NMM)

Christian Esken c.esken at cityweb.de
Thu Sep 9 22:16:30 BST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 21:54, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday 09 September 2004 21:48, Christian Esken wrote:
>
> > Could we an informal voting about that? I would like to see a clearer
> > picture.  Just stand up and mail "I agree" or "I do NOT agree"
>
> Voting hasn't ever worked in KDE and really seems pretty pointless.

So you want to go the KDE way?  The one who takes the lead has the power.
But then the discussions on this mailing-list are futile and just wasted time:

We are happily wasting time to prove to each other that there is no optimal sound system:
One has no network transparency, the other one has not enough developer support, the other
one lacks realtime performance, the next cannot capture audio data, and so on, and so on.

> In my writeup and in our talks we discussed that it would be good to have a
> default sound server, but that there's really no point in worrying about such
> just yet since the output would be handled by the media backend that we're
> using anyway.

Well, thats the point. We have not agreed on a media backend either.
We have not even agreed whether we need to select a backend.

With the current state of affairs (kde-multimedia has no common goal), I would be happy if somebody would just go the KDE way:
Take the lead, and try out some backends. Like doing a hacked up version of KAudioPlayer that uses MAS or GStreamer as backend.
I'll probably do that myself ... even if half of the kde-multimedia people will after that throw stones at me :)

Chris