KDE4 MM, a view from usability and general applicaiton development

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Sep 9 13:20:04 BST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 09:58, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 21:56, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Yes there are process switchings: From your master-clock to all the other
> > apps doing video and audio. And this are a lot of switches...
> No there are not. ;). There's no process switching involved here with
> the clock, each task (video, audio) runs in its own process and access
> the clock in its own process. There's just the process switches (in the
> kernel) between the actual video data processing and audio data
> processing. Those run concurrently, though.

And these kernel-process-switches are the thing that slows the system. You
should check Paul Davis' talk at Linux Audio Developers Meeting in 2003 about
Jack, where he explains how many cycles are left for doing the
audio-processing...

> For pro-audio, there's no video and thus only one process. Latency can't
> get much lower.

You don't know Jack, do you? Jack's main difference to (almost) every other
sound system is that it beams audio between different apps in realtime. Not
by doing all the processing in one process and just giving multiple graphical
interfaces but _really_ by different processes! That is unique in the whole
pro-audio-world, even Windows or Mac can't do that...

Arnold

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de
---