KDE4 MM, a view from usability and general applicaiton development

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Sep 8 20:13:53 BST 2004

Starting Disclaimer:

I am neither a professional audio engineer, nor a professional programmer, nor
a kde core developer. I am just using audio apps semi-professional and
programming some little, but imho useful tools...

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 16:36, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Synchronization is completely unrelated to this, however. If you try to
> go into the discussion that you started using those question, you ought
> to know what you're talking about. Latency is a time difference between
> an action and a reaction. Synchronization is an effect between two
> actions that *are already in motion*. In GStreamer, synchronization is
> an implicit part of pipeline data flow, and pipeline data flow is
> something that comes *after* pipeline state (and thus latency).
> Therefore, synchronization and responsiveness do not interfere.

No? They don't interfere?

I press a key on my keyboard, I get the delay from the midi-system, the delay
from the softsynth I am using (both are not discussed here) and then I get
the latency from the audio system.
And if the latency of the system is only poor 50ms, its totally unimportant
how fast the system can respond to internal messages, its unusable for
professional audio and making music...

And afaik if a system is optimized for doing video and audio in sync (where
latency is irrelevant as long as both act the same time), you have so much
work to do in your process, that its _very_ likely you don't have the time to
do 5 or more process-switches for audio and some for for the other programs
running and having a over-all-latency of 3-5ms.

Oh, and latency also means the time from audio_in -> soundprocessing in
different apps -> audio_out...

Again I want to repeat my vote:

Please don't stick to one certain system!!!
We had bad experience with sticking only to aRts.
The main thing that makes KDE the best system in my eyes is the choices: You
don't like Kate? Make KWrite or KEdit you default editor. You don't like
kaboodle or Noatun? make JuK your favourite player. You don't like svgs to be
opened with the standard-plugin? Let them be opened with the viewer from
kdegraphics. You don't want videos opened in kaboodle? Set them to be opened
in mplayer. Not by choosing the right menu-option on every file, but
globally...
Let the GStreamer-fans use GStreamer, let the ESD-fans use ESD, let the
aRts-fans use aRts, let the BlaBla-fans use BlaBla with the right backend...

And:
Recardless which decision you make, I will leave this discussion now! I've got
some important exams in the next weeks (Vordiplom in German) and currently I
am more into developing JackMix if I have some time.
This will also mean that I won't do any bugfixes on KRec and artscontrol until
mid of October.

Stay tuned and God bless you,

Arnold

PS: I will be reading this list but please flame me if I do any unasked
mails. :-)

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de
---