potential solution

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Wed Sep 8 01:31:09 BST 2004

On Monday 06 September 2004 11.59, Charles Samuels wrote:
> We choose the best damn possible API (nmm?) and then we make translation
> layers to make use of codecs from other frameworks.
>
> Just like was done with xine to arts.  -- except it'd work :)

But the aRTs problems kind of started when it begun to import and write
wrappers around other "frameworks". Suddenly one file format could be handled
at several places, prioritising the providers were needed...

But worse was that the alternatives had different bugs.
And since they were parts of different "frameworks" you needed not only to
understand aRTs and a decoder library.
You had to understand the other frameworks too... That is where I gave up...

/RogerL