summary of the aKademy meetings

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Sep 7 20:08:29 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 19:59, Marco Lohse wrote:
> well, I would prefer: "why build another tent around some existing tent?
> Why not build a house around the tent, so we will be warm in the winter,
> and we can easily use another tent inside our house in cases we do not
> like the old tent anymore, or we can even play with both tents at a time" ;)

But we barely have enough manpower to set up a tent.  As such it's going to be
hard to build a house (or a skyscraper).

> But seriously, let us consider another example for
> abstraction/meta-architecture: Qt. From my understanding, Qt is (also) a
> wrapper for lower-level interfaces. It is no one-to-one mapping. It does
> provide abstraction. Therefore, it works with different underlying
> lower-level interfaces. That is possible because different underlying
> lower-level interfaces provide a set of common facilities.

If Xlib was suitable with 1 to 1 bindings for application development we'd
probably do just that.  It's not.

The other big difference is that Qt has a full time development team of about
20 people.  We have about 5 people working on this stuff that have other
projects that they care about more -- not to mention that I don't think any
of them are interested in building such a layer.

-Scott