summary of the aKademy meetings

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Sep 7 14:52:02 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 08:28, Marco Lohse wrote:
> ok, I have quickly looked at the code. It's basically a 'one-to-one'
> binding, right?
[..]
> So, to summarize, this will be a huge effort - I wonder why people are
> willing to invest so much effort into this and not into some sort of
> 'meta-architecture', something on-top of other frameworks, something
> that adds some more value through abstraction.

Charles just explained that ten times, the one-to-one mapping (if there
at all) would make it a very powerful API, as powerful as GStreamer is
right now. The wrap ('meta-architecture') would be at best as powerful
as the common denominator or be unimplemented in at least one backend,
both of which are bad for applications (and thus end users).

I agree that it might be nice to have a kpart for a simple beep (for in
games) and so on, you really don't want games and mail applications to
require direct GStreamer code, right? But if KDE is going to recommend a
media framwork in addition to this kpart, it should just have the guts
to choose one.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>