summary of the aKademy meetings

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Tue Sep 7 00:51:51 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 00:49, Charles Samuels wrote:

> Exactly, we're on the same page here.  I just need to state my qualms with
> this system.
>
> Suppose you are JuK, and suddenly you want to support a feature that the
> generic framework doesn't support.  Well, you're SOL, all the MM stuff in
> JuK will have to be rewritten to use GStreamer or NMM directly.  That
> sucks. Please, admit it, that does suck.

That's not the idea. KDEMM is (surprise!) writen in an objection oriented
language, and as such is very suitable for extensions. The kdemm-backends are
free to provide additional features not required by the basic API,
applications can use these additional features if they test for them first.

> What's also silly is that the frameworks themselves are just frontends to
> the codecs and the filters.  Then you have this generic framework that is
> an abstraction between the different abstractions.
>
> > > <read me>
> > > What applications want is something to play audio/video with.  What
> > > applications want is a kpart to do it.  They don't care how the kpart
> > > does it.  This way we don't have a weak API in cvs and call it "the KDE
> > > MM Framework."
> > > </read me>
> >
> > Why would I want to have a kpart ? I have a perfectly working widget here
> > which can play videos for me. Wrapping this widget in a kpart so that it
> > can be embedded in konqy is trivial.
>
> First, I don't exactly understand what you mean here.
>
> I'm not necessarily condoning the idea of a KPart, but for a "Easy" API,
> don't give its users the impression that it's a multimedia API.  It's an
> API that's nothing more for playing a sound very very easily, and if you
> feel there's even the slightest possiblity that you'll want more than that,
> then there should be huge <blink> tags in the documentation saying to avoid
> it.  It is not a framework, it shouldn't be seen as anything more than
> something that you might use in the following instances:
>
>  - Previewing in Konq (or, say, a P2P application)
>  - thumbnails in Konq
>  - sound effects in very simple games (KBattleship-yes, games like
> Boson-no)
>
> Programs like JuK and Noatun, should definitely be out of the question.

Actually the goal of working with JuK is already reached, the current goal
will be able to deal with the multimedia needs of all the applications
currently in KDE-main. Amarok was said from the beginning to not be a goal. I
also see nothing in boson which we wouldn't able to deal with.

`Allan