KDE4 MM, a view from usability and general applicaiton development

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Sep 7 00:11:52 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 0:53, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Monday 2004 September 06 03:51 pm, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > Which is different how, exactly?
>
> Please read the very last email I sent.

Which last mail, exactly?  ;-)

Anyway -- I'll jump to what I think you're getting at.

Let's be honest -- binding ourselves to a single API has some benefits.  Not
binding ourselves to a single API (in the simple case) also has some
benefits.  Recognizing that as a starting point I see as our only real means
of progressing from the current impass.

The only real downside I see to the combination of a "strongly recommended
API" plus "a plugable architecture" is that it's probably hard to build
something on the simple API and extend it.

I've been working with the assumption that application developers would know
what they needed generally speaking and that those that need the additional
stuff wouldn't use the simple API.  You seem to disagree here.  I'm not sure
that we can't work out something in the present API to compromise on this
issue.  What do you specifically see as missing?

Also in terms of usage cases I personally don't intend to add anything not in
the simple API to JuK.  Most JuK users appreciate its simplicity.  I'm all
for dropping the configurable backends once we've got something that I can
use that doesn't suck as much as aRts.  For my needs the API in kdelibs is
plenty.

I don't see other applications in KDE CVS that are corner cases.  Noatun will
clearly need more than the simple API.  Third party apps may as well.  What
else?

On the other hand keeping things abstract (and plugable) provides more sane
ways to manage a BC API.  Very, very few applications in KDE need more than
that.  It's a way to set up an interface that we can reliably promise not to
break probably even into the KDE 5 series.  There's nothing else that makes
that possible presently.

-Scott