summary of the aKademy meetings

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Sep 6 22:33:58 BST 2004

On Monday 06 September 2004 23:08, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Monday 2004 September 06 09:30 am, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > Well, if we pick an API, app writers will have to do one of two things:
> >
> > 1) Use the backend API directly, or
> > 2) Use a KDE-provided wrapper for simplicity.
> >
> > If we do number 2), then making it 'pluggable' is almost free, so I'll
> > assume you'd rather have option 1). ;)
>
> No, it's not, if you want all the features of the backend API, then you
> have to drop down to that backend API. The stuff in make-it-cool doesn't
> let you insert filters, or change its output mode... or anything. The

As far as I understood, it is intended to be a simple API for simple purposes.
For advanced stuff use the backend API directly.

> <read me>
> What applications want is something to play audio/video with.  What
> applications want is a kpart to do it.  They don't care how the kpart does
> it.  This way we don't have a weak API in cvs and call it "the KDE MM
> Framework."
> </read me>

Why would I want to have a kpart ? I have a perfectly working widget here
which can play videos for me. Wrapping this widget in a kpart so that it can
be embedded in konqy is trivial.

Bye
Alex