summary of the aKademy meetings

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Mon Sep 6 22:30:09 BST 2004

On Monday, 6. September 2004 11:52, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:

> > > ... and then finally kdemultimedia is gone which is a good thing. A CVS
> > > module for the mere aggregation of applications, that's what we have
> > > extragear for.
> >
> > So kdemm solves things by removing multimedia apps from kde?
>
> Yes, this is all part of my crusade to get rid of as many applications as
> possible. I tricked the others into following my path to the dark side.

No, serious now. I actually think that a "spatial" separation of applications
and the framework is a good thing. It forces you to think harder about
interfaces if you cannot customise them deliberately.

However, we have two different issues here:

1) finding a KISS solution for the basic needs of KDE as a general application
framework.

2) providing a KDE Multimedia Framework that fulfils the needs of highly
advanced multimedia applications.

I am reasonably sure that we can only have 2) if we completely do it on our
own. If we rely on thirdparty stuff we lack the necessary control and
understanding of the underlying technologies. You cannot prevent bitrot in
code you don't understand. And then again, we would duplicate work that a lot
of capable people have already done.

1) can be done fairly easy, maybe even backend agnostic.

Rationale:

I'm absolutely convinced that the KDE project will never be able to meet the
demand for applications. Thus, the one thing KDE must do is not being an
obstacle. We should not impose our ideas of doing things on others. We should
offer ways of doing things, but not enforce them. I think this is the biggest
objective of KDE4.

Now, if we enforce a multimedia backend (like we did with arts) ... you get
it. I don't think that sabre-rattling in the spirit of "we are the desktop"
is going to gain us much credit. There's probably a reason for amarok trying
to support as many mm frameworks as possible: It just broadens the base for
possible deployments. True for KDE, too.

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"