summary of the aKademy meetings

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 17:30:08 BST 2004

Note: I missed most of this due to a prolonged power outage.

On Sunday 05 September 2004 11:18 pm, Charles Samuels wrote:
> In other words, I'm strongly opposed to this kdemm stuff, and I highly
> desire that we choose a system and make it exclusively used by KDE (what
> amaroK does internally is its own business).
>
> I personally like NMM the most, but that doesn't matter as long as we just
> pick one.

Well, if we pick an API, app writers will have to do one of two things:

1) Use the backend API directly, or
2) Use a KDE-provided wrapper for simplicity.

If we do number 2), then making it 'pluggable' is almost free, so I'll assume
you'd rather have option 1). ;)

But if we do option 1), our app developers could be stuck with a lame API.  I
say this because if we had to vote *NOW* on a MM backend, I would have to
vote gstreamer.  But then we're stuck trying to use a pure C-level API. :-(

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne