summary of the aKademy meetings

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Mon Sep 6 14:02:09 BST 2004

On Monday 06 September 2004 14:22, Dik Takken wrote:

> I posted this idea to KDE-Core-Devel some time ago:
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=109281129913280&w=2
>
> What do you think of this?

Yes, I believe this is what led Matthias to the idea of supporting them.
After I bugged him about the design a bit until I got it (I hope) I realized
that it's a pretty powerful idea for coming up with a more usable mixer
interface.

However I don't believe that arbitrary "complex" processing belongs in the
simple API; at least at the present moment it was generally agreed that not
much more than volume belongs there.

I kind of liken this to the advanced capabilities of aRts; they've always been
there, and in fact there's quite a bit that you could bolt on to aRts-enabled
application now, but nobody does.  I'm not sure that offering such features
in the user interface would do much more.

I'm not really dead-set one way or the other on this one, but I think for the
moment there are probably bigger issues to work out; you might bring this up
again in a few months once a few more things have dropped into place.

-Scott