summary of the aKademy meetings

tmattern at noos.fr tmattern at noos.fr
Mon Sep 6 12:46:12 BST 2004

Hi,

> *) Backend
>    - handles creating channels and players
>    - manages a list of channels
>    - reports on supported mimetypes
> *) Channel
>    - essentially encapsulates a logical group of playable stuff
>    - makes it possible to control the volume of such a group -- i.e. to set
>      the volume for "notifications", "music" or "video" and have all apps
>      using the framework respect this
> *) Player
>    - basic player controls -- load, play, pause, stop, seek, volume, etc.
>    - has a subclass, VideoPlayer that creates a QWidget for displaying video
>    - outputs through a specific channel

Your API is a playback API, I'd like to hear why xine-lib (which is exactly an audio/video playback lib) is not evaluated as well.
xine-lib is mature, supports a lot of formats, has good perfs, and is used by several audio and video players, including popular KDE apps like amaroK and kaffeine.
Looks like a perfect candidate to me ;-)

thanks,
Thibaut