KDE startup and logout sounds

Christian Esken c.esken at cityweb.de
Sat Sep 4 12:43:17 BST 2004

Hi,

I need some help with the behaviour of KDE startup and logout sounds. Both have problems on many systems:

1) You do not hear the start of the startup sound.
This is due to the fact, that "kmixctrl --restore" resides in the autostart folder and can actually run too late. Obviously it runs after artsd, which should not be like that. Does anybody can tell me how we could fix this? I have absolutely no clue who actually starts artsd.
My guess is that kcminit starts artsd, and ksmserver starts the autostart stuff after that.
The trivial fix is to put "kmixctrl --restore" directly in the "startkde" script, but that is wrong, because there is a condition "X-KDE-autostart-condition=kmixrc::startkdeRestore:true". Surely this could also be tested in "startkde" via the kreadconfig command, but is this a good idea?

2) You do not hear the end of the logout sound. KDE terminates without waiting for the sound to finish playing.
I have no idea how to fix that.

Does anybody
Chris