jack and aRts

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat May 8 23:29:31 BST 2004

Hi,

I just added a jack output driver for aRts to CVS. I hope you can give it
quite some testing (full duplex should be working).
aRts will automatically connect to the first physical input and output ports
which for every "standard" KDE user maps to the soundcard stereo in and out.

If you want to do some fun testing connect the output of arts to the input of
arts and fire up artsbuilder. Place a Synth_AMAN_RECORD, 2 Synth_MUL and a
Synth_AMAN_PLAY. Connect it from record.left -> mul.invalue, mul.outvalue ->
play.left and set the second invalue of the Synth_MUL to something < 1. Do
the same for the right channel and hit "Execute Structure". You just built
yourself a simple reverb effect :-) which hasn't been possible in aRts before
since the engine didn't support feedback structures.

A short info on how I use jack:
- get the realtime-lsm if you use a 2.6 kernel and if you can afford the
security implications
- get qjackctl for a really nice frontend to starting and controlling jack

--
C'ya
        Matthias
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de