How do you tell if you're using aKode?

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Jul 24 15:39:04 BST 2004

On Friday 23 July 2004 22:16, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Friday 23 July 2004 09:43 am, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> > Another way is detect by hearing. If you get blips and blops on seeking
> > or on buggy strams then it's mpeglib, otherwise it's aKode. Or you run
> > cvs up on all your kde sources at once while listening to a file on the
> > same hdd. If it skips like mad on extended hdd-trashing times then it's
> > mpeglib, otherwise it's aKode (yes, I can cvs up all of kde without a
> > single dropout now, not even xmms managed that back when I used it).
>
> So it does its own buffering?  How much latency does akode add?

The real reason akode does less skiping, is because I've put in
madvise/fadvise calls to advise the I/O layer how the disk is going to be
accessed. When you advise the kernel that the disk is going to be accessed
sequentially, it increases the read-ahead buffer and discards pages
immediatly when they are no longer accessed..

`Allan