akode for 3.3

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Jul 17 14:25:44 BST 2004

On Saturday 17 July 2004 07:11, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Saturday 17 July 2004 03:08, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > I want to just make sure we all agree that akode will be in the next
> > release of KDE.
>
> Thumbs up.

I don't think the question is if it will be in the next release, but whether
it or mpeglib will be default for playing mp3s and ogg-vorbis (it will still
play flac and mpc files)

It kinda looks like this:
+ aKodelib doesnt have several annoying mpeglib-bugs:
  * plays the last seconds of every song
  * large id3v2 tags don't produce loud scratching noices
  * searching doesn't produce loud scratching noices
  * fewer dropouts on most systems
- aKodelib might not work on some platforms:
  * I know for certain that the pluginloader needs a few fixes for non-ELF
system (naively assumes .so extension). (HP-UX)
  * For some systems the plugins might also need to be statically linked to
their dependencies. (non-chained library loading)
  * I am not sure all our supported platforms even have the dlopen/dlsym
calls... (?)
- aKodelib is new and _will_ have odd bugs of its own, but atleast I am
actively maintaining it.

`Allan